Generosity among strangers can be contagious - you spread a small amount of love to someone you don't know and your emotional and social wellbeing expands and energy grows, and what you give out comes back to you ten fold. Like cosmic karma, paying it forward comes back in spades.
Paying it forward might be a random act of kindness (ROAK) or it may be as simple as consciously helping others - like an elderly person crossing the road, or a mother with small children to load groceries into her car. It is a conscious decision that affects our emotional health in extraordinary ways.
Some of the benefits I talk to in the video below are the following (though there are so many more as well!):
1. Increases sense of self worth and self esteem
2. Encourages socialisation and decreases personal isolation while stepping outside of your comfort zone.
3. Relieves stress and increases your positive thinking.
4. Increases feelings of generosity - in your giving of time, knowledge, money and resources to help others.
5. Positive effect on your immune system!
So if you haven't thought of how you might reach out to someone - make it a conscious decision this week to look for those you may help. Offer to pay for a coffee for someone else who may need it, or help someone who is struggling in their day to day life.
Paying it forward and bringing more kindness into your life will leave you feeling renewed and re-energised for this amazing world and the amazing people in it. Including YOU!