Giving back to your community: it's not just great for those you are helping, it's also great for you too. It brings you joy, love, compassion, gratitude - among other things.
Tune into this video to find out how giving back to your community and helping others can provide the following incredible benefits:
- Increases your sense of fulfillment and personal achievement.
- Increases your own self esteem.
- Connects you to, serves and helps you to understand your communities.
- Allows you to be a part of something bigger than you.
- Find new friends and new areas of passion.
- Gives you a sense of purpose and makes life even more meaningful.
- Positive mindset.
- Being a positive role model for children and those around you.
- Increases your skills and knowledge in specific areas.
Giving back to others makes you feel amazing and helps them too - it's win-win for you and for those you are helping in your various communities. I have volunteered, in some capacity, for the last 16 years - through local community work, not-for-profit Board work (see photo below) and other fundraising/event roles. At the moment I'm the Vice President of the Board for the Child Health Association of Tasmania, a NFP providing support and advocating for the health and wellbeing of Tasmanian families and Board Secretary for Insight Mindfulness Education, a brand new NFP providing mindfulness and meditation retreats to Australian teenagers. These organisations are doing incredible work for the community and I've chosen to focus my time on them and the roles they provide to our amazing communities. They do important work.
If you have something you are passionate about - follow it, support it and give your time freely and with love to help others, because in doing so, you are also helping yourself! I'd love to hear where you volunteer or give your time? Your local school? Your local shelter? Feel free to tell me in the comments below!
As always, I look forward to slowing down and feeling re-energised together with you, my tribe.